Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Risky Business

Tonight I made my first breakfast casserole.  Why, you might ask, is this risky business? Well, I volunteered myself to make breakfast for our quarterly morning meeting at work tomorrow.  Not only will it be my coworkers who I see everyday that will be attending this meeting, but a family physician, orthopedic surgeon, psychologist and a pharmacist.  I usually (always) just get fresh doughnuts and if I'm in a really good mood fresh fruit or yogurt to go with it.  I felt like being domestic today.  Here is the recipe I used for tomorrow's breakfast casserole. I didn't change anything, just doubled it!  I found it on allrecipes.com! And NO, I didn't use anything low-fat or fat free (one of my coworks requests- she knows me too well :) )

Amish Breakfast Casserole

  • 1 pound sliced bacon, diced

  • 1 medium sweet onion, chopped

  • 6 eggs, lightly beaten

  • 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed

  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

  • 1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese

  • 1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese

  • Directions

    1. In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp; drain. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir in bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
    2. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until set and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting

    The recipe said this makes 12 servings but the reviews said it's more like 6-8.

    3 comments:

    1. Love it! And love the description as to why you were making it. What did your coworkers say?

      ReplyDelete
    2. Everyone loved it! They all requested that I make breakfast for our quarterly meetings from now on. I'm thinking next time I will try some french toast I can bake in the oven.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Of course someone would ask you to not use reduced fat/ fat free products...too funny!

      ReplyDelete