Sunday, February 13, 2011

Corn Casserole

My sister-in-law makes "cornbread corn," which is always yummy. I tried her recipe without much luck, but I found this delicious Paula Dean recipe today and fixed it for a family dinner. Be careful not to overbake it, and everyone will enjoy its deliciousness. One word of advice, try baking it in a smaller dish than the recipe says. I used a 7x9 dish, and it was perfect; the 9x13 dish doesn't bake right, because there's not enough in the pan. Also, I use two quart freezer bags of sweet corn that we froze over the summer instead of the two cans of corn as the recipe says.

Ingredients

  • 1 (15 1/4-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
  • 1 (8-ounce) package corn muffin mix (recommended: Jiffy)
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, stir together the 2 cans of corn, corn muffin mix, sour cream, and melted butter. Pour into a greased 9 by 13-inch casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and top with Cheddar. Return to oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Let stand for at least 5 minutes and then serve warm.

2 comments:

  1. Rose! Seth loves a recipe similar to this and I have never made it for him! I will have to try this one! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had cheese on corn casserole, but it's hard to go wrong with cheese. Amanda, please invite me over when you make this for Seth.

    ReplyDelete