Saturday, February 26, 2011

Taco Corn Bread Squares

I found this recipe a few years back in Mom's copy of " Taste of Home's 2000 Quick Cooking Annual Recipes" when I was looking for something different to make the guys for Saturday dinner. (Side note: At our house, lunch or dinner is the noon meal, and supper is the evening meal.)

Taco Corn Bread Squares (aka Taco Bake)
Here's the recipe straight from the Taste of Home website:
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Taco-Corn-Bread-Squares

When I make it, I make the cornbread first in a deep 9x9 pan and get it going in the oven. Then, I make a batch of taco meat using 1 lb. of hamburger, taco seasoning, and minced onion just like you would for tacos. The recipe calls for 2-1/2 cups Taco-Seasoned Meat. In Mom's book, the Taco-Seasoned meat is a 4 lb. batch of taco meat divided into four portions to freeze and use later. Once the taco meat is done, I stir in the refried beans. Then, spread the meat-bean mix on the cornbread. Add shredded cheese on top. Put the pan under the broiler just long enough for the cheese to melt and get a little bubbly.

My tweak on the recipe is close to a 30 minute meal. I omit the sour cream and topping veggies in the dish. Sometimes, I set them out separate on the table with salsa so people can doctor it up as they wish.

When I made a batch of this earlier in the week, Mom set aside a little bowl of the meat-bean mix to make a single-serving of nachos later in the week. For supper, Mom turned her portion into more of a taco salad with soft corn bread "croutons."

Another use for Taco-Seasoned Meat listed in the cookbook is Taco Twist Bake. I've never tried it, but it sounds good, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment