Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Texas Sheet Cake

Greg's mom is a wonderful cook. She has to be, since she has three boys and a husband to feed! When we were dating, I would spend a lot of weekends at his parents' house, and I was always amazed by the fact that Diane would flawlessly have meat, vegetables, fruit, and a dessert on the table for each meal, even though she had housework and farm chores to occupy her time also. Since we've gotten married, I've been no less amazed.

I usually try not to make dishes that she makes, because I'm afraid to hear those words, "This isn't how my mom makes it." God bless Greg, the few times I have made something his mo
m also fixes, he's either liked my version of the dish too or has at least bit his tongue. One of Greg's favorite goodies from his mom's kitchen is Texas Sheet Cake. For my birthday a few years ago, she bought me a Pampered Chef stone cookie pan (I love P.C.!) and gave me the recipe. It took me a little bit to muster up the courage to give it a try, but I did, and I'm fairly confident that I can make it in the same delicious way. Here's the recipe. It's super easy, it tastes like you spent tons of time doing it, and it makes the house smell delicious while it's baking!

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks margarine or butter
1 cup water
4 tbs cocoa
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 tbs vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda

Frosting Ingredients
1 stick margarine or butter
3 tbs cocoa
1/3 cup milk
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 tsp vanilla

Directions
Sift together sugar, flour, and salt in a large mixing bowl and set aside. Bring margarine, water, and cocoa to a boil. Beat together eggs, milk, vinegar, vanilla, and baking soda. Add boiled mixture and egg mixture to the sifted ingredients. Pour into a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, for the frosting, bring margarine, cocoa, and milk to a boil. Add other ingredients and beat. Frosting will be stiff. Spread on warm cake. Top with chopped nuts if desired.
Step 1- sift dry ingredients.
Step 2- boil cocoa, butter, and water.
Step 3- Beat eggs, milk, vinegar, vanilla, and baking soda.
Step 4- Combine dry ingredients, boiled mixture, and egg mixture.
Step 5- Bake.
Step 6- Frost and enjoy!

I had leftover homemade frosting from a birthday cake last week, so I used that to ice to the sheet cake. The frosting in this recipe is really good, though! I usually pour it on when the cake comes right out of the oven, so it ends up as more of a glaze than frosting. If you don't like nuts, you can also put mini MMs or mini chocolate chips on top. Or, it's good with just frosting!

PS- I do cook "real" stuff, too, even though most of the recipes I share are for desserts. I made Jaime's cavatini last night, and it was a hit! Plus, we have plenty of leftovers in the freezer and fridge for nights when I'm not home or I don't feel like cooking!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm... sheet cake! Aunt Judy and I request this every year for our birthday dessert over at Grandma and Grandpa Sites' house. We've been requesting sheet cake for as long as I can remember. There are so many May birthdays that we double up, so Aunt Judy and I are birthday buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the cavatini was a hit.

    ReplyDelete