Sunday, February 13, 2011

Lettuce Wraps

I'll admit it. Sometimes when I go to Columbus for meetings, I think about what I am going to pick up for lunch that day a couple days ahead of time. I like to get food that I can't get here in Mercer county. There has even been a time or two that I've called P.F. Changs on my way down to order Lettuce Wraps from the curbside pick up.

When I came across this recipe, I couldn't wait to try it. I've tweaked it a little bit and it definitely gives me my "fix" when I can't get to a Changs. We love it and serve it with white or brown rice.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large shallot, finely chopped (found near the onions in a small package)
2 tablespoons minced ginger (can use fresh-I just bought a container of ground in spice section for future use)
2 cloves garlic (I use two teaspoons or minced dry garlic- that way I do not have to have fresh garlic on hand)
1 jalapeno pepper seeded and fine chopped
3 tablespoons of water chestnuts, finely chopped (sold in a can near the Oriental stuff)
1 pound chicken breast, cut into small (1 cm or less) cubes
1 head of lettuce



Directions:
1. Cut up chicken breasts. I think you can buy chicken breasts already diced into small pieces. To make it easier, rather than buying full breast buy the tenderloins. Then, use kitchen scissors to cut the chicken into small pieces. Set aside.

2. In a small bowl combine soy sauce and sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves.

3. Heat a large skillet over high heat until hot. Add oil and swirl to coat skillet. Add shallot, garlic, water chestnuts, and jalapeno pepper and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chicken and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until the meat is almost cooked through. Add half the sauce to the skillet until the meat is cooked though, about two minutes.

4. Serve in lettuce leaves with the remaining sauce.

Note: Please do not hesitate to make this if you do not have one of the ingredients. It will taste good without certain ingredients.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea with the kitchen scissors! It seems like that would save a lot of time. I also use a Pampered Chef food chopper a lot. It's really sharp, it's so much easier than cutting things up with a knife.

    ReplyDelete